SSAT Scoring & Release
Rigorous question testing and validation and the highest degree of statistical scoring procedures for accurate and comparable results make the SSAT trusted by private schools worldwide.
On the Middle and Upper Level SSAT, a point is awarded for each correct answer, a quarter of a point is subtracted for each incorrect answer, and no points are awarded or deducted for omitted questions.
On the Elementary Level SSAT, a point is awarded for each correct answer and there is no penalty for incorrect answers.
SSAT Score Release Schedule
The standard SSAT score release schedule for each testing mode is listed below. Please note: Before scores are released to the family, designated schools, or educational consultants, a parent or guardian must complete the Testing Experience Statement first. This policy applies to all students and testing modes.
Testing Experience Statement
The Testing Experience Statement ensures fairness by enabling families to report any irregularities or issues that interfered with their student's SSAT. Talk with your student about their experience, and then complete the statement as soon as possible.
Complete the Statement
- Log into the parent/guardian account.
- Click the red "SSAT Testing" button.
- Click the "Review Statement" button next to your student's test.
- Complete and submit the statement.
In addition, if there was an irregularity, email a detailed description to email@example.com immediately. In these rare circumstances, EMA will work with you and the test center to determine whether the test was fair and valid.
Scores may be released at different times of the day and in some rare circumstances release may take up to three weeks from the test administration. Expedited scoring is unavailable.
Paper scores are typically released to schools and families within two weeks of the test date. Scores are released to families on the day after they are released to schools.
SSAT at Home scores are typically released to schools on the Wednesday following your SSAT at Home test date. Scores are released to families on the day after they are released to schools.
For Prometric tests taken from Monday through Sunday, scores are released to schools on the Wednesday following the Sunday ending the scoring period. Scores are released to families on the day after they are released to schools.
You can wait to add schools or educational consultants as score recipients until you see your child's scores first. Recipients added after scores are released will have immediate access.
Score Release Method
Schools and Educational Consultants
EMA securely releases scores to schools and educational consultants through an online account or automatic data connection—scores are never mailed or emailed. Score reports always include the scores and a copy of the writing sample.
To confirm that a school or educational consultant received scores, follow the instructions under Accessing Scores below. A release date is shown for each recipient that received your student's scores.
Families receive scores for free through their online accounts, where a .pdf score report is available to download. Add-on score services are also available to receive alerts, access the writing sample, or have scores sent via mail or FedEx.
To access an SSAT score report:
- Log into your parent/guardian account.
- From the "SSAT Scores" dropdown, select "Active Scores."
- Click the "+" sign next to your student's test.
- Click "View Score Report" to access the .pdf report; if you haven't completed the Testing Experience Statement, a "Review Statement" prompt will display before you can access the report.
If you purchased the SSAT writing sample, a link to download it will be available.
- Scores from the 2022-23 testing year are available to send to schools and educational consultants until 7/31/24.
- Scores from the 2021-22 testing year are available to send to schools and educational consultants until 7/31/23.
- Scores before 8/1/21 can no longer be sent to schools or educational consultants.