Accommodations Handbook

Who may serve as an approver?

Any professional approving accommodations for a student must be a non-family member, regardless of credentials possessed by a family member. Identified professionals must be able/willing to affirm that:

  • Documentation meeting SSAT requirements is known to exist on file at their organization.
  • The student is known to have a disability requiring accommodations for standardized testing.
  • The approver listed on a student’s application for accommodations is recommended to be a practitioner or representative from the student’s current or previous school (ex. school psychologist, special education coordinator, counselor, school administrator, therapist, learning specialist, teacher, etc.). The responsibility for maintaining these records varies from school to school, thus a specific role or job title is not required; however, this professional should be able to attest to the validity of your student’s disability and their resultant testing needs.
  • It may be necessary to identify a medical practitioner involved in your student’s diagnosis or ongoing treatment for their disability; however, it is recommended that the family attempt to identify a school-based professional as they generally know a student’s educational testing needs best.
  • Any individual approving accommodations for a student must be a non-family member, regardless of the credentials held by a family member.
  • If any professional has provided direct SSAT test preparation services for your student, they are not eligible to serve as the approver of your student’s accommodations for the SSAT.


A hand-drawn doodle of a circle.

If you have any questions or concerns about your family's ability to provide anything needed for your student to complete testing, please contact EMA immediately and well in advance of your scheduled test date.

Find answers to common questions about accommodations in our Help Center.